Pan Seared Lemon Halibut with Gluten Free Vegan Creamy Butternut Squash Pasta
The funny thing about making these last-minute cooking decisions is that 1) I have to think really hard about giving you guys exact portions after the fact 2) as seen in this very embarrassing iPhone video shot by my husband I was a little annoyed and frazzled when he kept egging me on about how it was going to turn out. You see I had just come home from a super sweaty spin class, the sun was creeping towards setting so my light for photo taking was just about gone, and I had totally burned the carrots I originally planned to use in the recipe. It's not always as glamorous as the photos may seem to show! Anywho, if you remember, I recently told you guys about my discovery that blending roasted carrots, roasted cauliflower, and the salty starchy water left from boiling pasta basically made a perfect vegan cheese sauce. Well, this was round two, it was a little sweeter but just as satisfying with my pan seared lemon halibut. This recipe was born out of leftover roasted butternut squash that needed to be used up and a burning desire for a veggie pasta.
What I used:
- 2 halibut filets (from my fav Wabash Seafood Companyof course!)
- 1 lemon
- 2 portions of Trader Joe's Quinoa & Brown Rice Spaghetti
- 1 package of Trader Joe's crinkle cut butternut squash fries (roasted)
- 2-3 zucchini (cut in half and then half moons)
- 1 large yellow/white onion diced
- Begin by heavily salting your pasta water and bringing it to a boil
- I already had my butternut squash roasted and in the fridge from a few days before but if you don't then roast it in the oven with oil and salt at 400 for about 30 minutes or until golden
- In a shallow pan sautee your zucchini and onion mixture with oil, salt, and pepper until golden and set aside
- Pan sear the halibut with a little salt and pepper and juice from a lemon, about 3-4 minutes on each side with high heat
- When the pasta is done cooking remove it from the heat and fill your Vitamix with the butternut squash + about 3 ladles full of the water. Blend until smooth and creamy, keep adding water to get it to an alfredo type texture.
- Drain the pasta from the rest of the water then toss the pasta in the butternut squash sauce and mix the veggies in. Serve it up alongside your simple halibut with a piece of lemon for garnish!
PS disregard the carrots in the pic below since I swapped them last minute with the already cooked butternut squash!
PPS For more yummy fish recipes, head here and here!